Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the STEP program. If you have any further questions that are not answered on these FAQs, please feel free to email us. Our contact information can be found here.
Application and Eligibility
- Who is eligible to participate in STEP?
- STEP primarily serves first generation, low income first-year students.
- How can I apply to STEP?
- STEP is by invitation only.
- How do I know if I have been invited to apply to STEP?
- The application will be found on your MyAdmissions page’s checklist.
- When is the application deadline?
- All materials including the STEP application, FAFSA/DREAM Act applications, etc. are due on April 16 for Summer Session 1 STEP and May 1 for Summer Session 2 STEP.
- What do I need to turn in to apply to STEP?
- Please see STEP application requirements
- When will I know if I have been accepted to STEP?
- STEP decisions will be sent out to your UC Davis email by late May for Summer Session 1 STEP and late June for Summer Session 2 STEP. Please make sure to set up your UC Davis email address. Decisions will not be sent to other registered emails (ex: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc).
- I got off the UC Davis waitlist, can I still apply to STEP?
- Please contact the STEP office for more information.
- How much does STEP cost?
- STEP is funded through a combination of Financial Aid and STEP funds, so there is no out of pocket cost for STEP participants.
- Do I have to complete TWO FAFSA/Dream Act Applications?
- Yes. Students must complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA/DREAM Act applications for the academic year prior to March 2 and the 2021-2022 FAFSA/DREAM Act application for STEP before May 1.
- What if I have other questions about financial aid?
- The Financial Aid Office has created a list of FAQs regarding financial aid for STEP students. If you have further questions, we recommend you reach out to Financial Aid directly. Contact info can be found on the Financial Aid website.
- Where do I take the Math Placement Exam?
- The Math Placement Exam determines which math class you will be allowed to take. Learn more about the Math Placement Exam.
- Where can I take the Writing Placement Exam?
- Similar to the Math Placement, Writing Placement 2021 determines if you are ready to take on university level writing. Information about Writing Placement 2021 can be found on your MyAdmissions page.
- I declined the invitation to apply to STEP but have decided that I want to apply. What should I do?
- Please email email@example.com with your full name and UCD Student ID number if you are interested in applying to STEP after declining the invitation.
- What should I do if I applied to STEP but I am no longer interested in being considered for the program?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and UCD Student ID number if you are no longer interested in STEP.
- Why should I consider applying to STEP?
- STEP students get the opportunity to adjust to the academic rigor of UC Davis before the academic year starts. Students receive six units of graded coursework and build relationships with other students. Students also receive priority registration for the first four quarters of undergrad after completing summer STEP.
- How long is STEP?
- STEP is a TWO- year program that begins with a summer bridge component. In order to maintain priority registration, students are expected to meet quarterly with STEP staff and meet program requirements during their first two years.
- What are the dates of Summer STEP?
- Summer Session 1 STEP will take place June 18 - July 30.
Summer Session 2 STEP will take place July 31 - September 10.
- What materials will I need for summer STEP?
- Students will need to have access to a computer/laptop, speakers/headphones, webcam, and microphone.
- Can I work during STEP?
- Students selected to participate in STEP will participate in ALL virtual STEP courses and activities. Students will spend at least 35 hours per week engaging in all aspects of the program between the hours of 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM PDT, Monday-Saturday.
- Will I have free time during STEP?
- STEP courses and community building activities will take place Monday through Saturday. There will be no courses or activities on Sundays.